“The lover of nature is he who’s inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Vitamin N (Nature) is the mind-body-nature environment and enhances our physical and emotional health.
- Our sensitivity to nature is essential to our survival.
- New research indicates that our sensory processing is improved through direct interaction with nature.
- Natural environments support attention, creativity, social interaction, emotional connection, and learning.
- Our growing disconnection from nature dulls our senses and blunts our sensory processing.
- The more high tech we become, the more we need the natural balance of nature.
- Exposure to “green space” results in significant improvement of attention, impulse control, and organization. Nature not only has attention restorative benefits, but also activates all the senses to enhance multisensory learning. (Faber-Taylor A 2001, Kuo, 2004)
- An ideal way to escape sensory overload is to engage and retreat to the sight, sounds, smells, touch, and movement of the natural world.